Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Three books everyone should read

For those ten readers of my blog I want to first apologise for not writing. My absence is party related to lack of time but mostly to reading a lot. While reading things "I have to" I actually came across some extremely interesting books that I think everyone should read.

Especially this three jewels:


Erich Fromm's: Esacape from Freedom is an excellent analysis on historical development of individual/collective identities and reasons for rise of the totalitarian ideologies. It can also give you amazing tools to evaluate your own life.

Cordelia Fine's: Delusions of Gender is showing how gender is being constructed from the perspective of neuroscience using hard evidence. After reading this you might change your mind on how you see men and women.


Douglas Adams's: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - because it's a seriously hilarious & genius adventure that can give you a taste of one thing we should never forget - to have fun.

And since I'm a curious person and always in search of a new good reading, I'd like to ask 3 people for which I know (or assume) they love books/reading to do the same.

So Fairy, Hirkani and Alcessa, please share 3 books you think everyone should read. There's no such thing as too many book recommendations :)

9 comments:

alcessa said...

AUČ! Now you got me! :-)

I need to think about it first, especially since my only idea right now is ... Hitchiker's Guide. Of course.

alcessa said...

OK, I have the first one:

It is IMHO absolutely a great idea to have read A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh.

Backsoon.

alcessa said...

The second one:

Manifest des evolutionären Humanismus
(Manifesto of Evolutionary Humanism: A Plea for a Contemporary Culture) by Michael Schmidt-Salomon

alcessa said...

Aaaand, here comes the third one:

Jonathan Safran Foer: Eating Animals.

Yeah.

Happy? :-)

Cherry said...

Happy and it's on my list :)

Lukc said...

Ye should read ... umm ... regularly, or at least now and then, when you feel like it. I'd say everyone should probably read Animal Farm by Orwell, Brave New World by Huxley and something awesome and cool, like The Years of Rice and Salt, or maybe Widow for a Year or The Ground Beneath Her Feet or A Wild Sheep Chase by Murakami ... but that's getting afield. Maybe just The Lord of the Rings to understand modern fantasy literature.

Cherry said...

hej, I said only three - don't be greedy ;)

Anonymous said...

To limit my search to a list of only three books, it is more important to fill a quota of cultural literacy than to choose simply the three best books in literature. So, hypothetically, if one was to read only three books throughout their entire life, but reflect deeply and fully on those three, they would need the following:

1) A book that teaches altruism, heroism, and justice. To me, the most prominent example is "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.

2) A book that teaches the absurdity of human cruelty, especially in a reflection of war. Some choices may include much of Hemingway's work (The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms), or more contemporary war novels (Catch-22, Slaughterhouse 5).

3) A political book that teaches how to lead and how to govern. Antigone, by Sophocles does just that. Also, the negative Utopian novels are important as a warning. George Orwell's Animal Farm or 1984, and Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World are some of the finest works of literature to date.

fairy said...

my favourite book is 'to kill a mocking bird' by harper lee, so i'd say that's a definite must :)

for the other two...i dunno. let's say 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time' by mark haddon and 'life of pi' by yan martel. both excelent.
and the romantic in me loves 'pride and prejudice' by jane austen.

i've done my task, do i get a cookie now? :D