Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tea snob

I'm definitely a tea person and even though I love coffee, I wouldn't as much as blink to give it up if I ever had to choose between the two. It's almost a religion.

Coming from a village small town tea was considered something you drink when you're sick. Not a surprising attitude considering other disgusting things you have to put in your mouth when you're sick. The tea I had at that time was tasteless yet colourful water with somehow nice smell. Even when it happened to have a taste, it was mainly because of the sugar.

But then I moved and my flatmate introduced me to the idea that not all tea comes in a bag so I discovered great tasting teas. It was a matter of cups before I became a tea addict. Fruit teas, green teas, spiced black teas, white teas, red teas it was just getting better and better. I admit, I got spoiled to the level of becoming a tea snob.

In the summer I make my own iced tea and I love experimenting with fresh ingredient teas, e.g. ginger, lemon-grass, lime and honey. I noticed being genuinely frustrated when ordering tea and getting it done all wrong. I'll survive lousy coffee but don't mess with my tea!

Black Tea.Image via Wikipedia

Supposedly Ireland and England have a high tea culture, some kinda of tea aristocracy so of course my hopes were high. Don't hold your breath. When the question: "Would you like some tea?" is not followed by "What kind?" you know you're in the black zone: no matter what time of day, you'll always get different versions of black tea. I like black tea, but 10 times a day? I don't know the tea drinking cultures well enough to know whether they get offended if you ask for a different kind of tea. Do you?
Enhanced by Zemanta

9 comments:

Spina said...

Tea addiction is the best addiction ever :-) Even if I feel my life has no meaning, if there's tea, I can tolerate it ;-) I have slight problems with caffeine so it's even a more special treat when I allow myself something hot, strong and delicious.

You still live in Berlin, don't you? If you don't always drink tea at home, where do you go? This city makes me crazy: coffee is more or less terribly bitter and tea is weak :-( I love strong teas: gunpowder green tea and assam black tea are my favourites.

Maybe I'll just make myself a cup right now ...

Cherry said...

I agree. Tea solves most of the problems.

Yes, I'm still in Berlin and unfortunately I do make my tea mostly at home. There are quite some nice tea shops in F'hain and also some places where you get decent tea, even if only fresh mint one. My favorite is still Datscha but there are some more on Simon - Dach str.

Assam I still buy in Slovenia in Tri Muhe, cause it is just the best one.

Spina said...

Oh, this Datscha looks lovely, thanks!

I like brewing my own tea at home, too. I always know what I'll get ;-) Not to mention the price, especially with green tee because I always steep the same tea two or three times.

Oh, and my favourite assam is from Clipper.

Cherry said...

I strongly recommend visiting Datscha on Sunday. They do have only two proper teas (fresh mint and Early Grey) but on Sundays till 16:00 when they have amazing brunch, the best I've had in Berlin so far.

Cherry said...

P.s. Tea is besides chocolate my favourite shopping item when travelling. I now also have some proper Irish Breakfast tea :)

Any recommendations for good tea in Belgium (next destination)?

Spina said...

Thanks, I will definitely go to Datscha one of these days!

I don't know about tea in Belgium, but you can't avoid chocolate there ever if you want to :-))

Cherry said...

Danes zjutri se pa spomnim, da sem pozabla na čajnico, ki je name naredila največji vtis: Chén Chè Teahouse.

Me je kr zamikalo da bi šla tja...

Spina said...

O, na tem koncu se pa večkrat potepam, sem si že zacahnala :-)

alcessa said...

JUST IN CASE: midva čaj ... naročava na internetu ...